2008/02/24

Hello!

Yes, I'm an Orbiter geek.

The following description was copied from the main Orbiter website, http://orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk/orbit.html

"ORBITER is a free flight simulator that goes beyond the confines of Earth's atmosphere. Launch the Space Shuttle from Kennedy Space Center to deploy a satellite, rendezvous with the International Space Station or take the futuristic Delta-glider for a tour through the solar system - the choice is yours.
But make no mistake - ORBITER is not a space shooter. The emphasis is firmly on realism, and the learning curve can be steep. Be prepared to invest some time and effort to brush up on your orbital mechanics background."


I first started out by trying then buying Eagle Lander 3D. Got really proficient at landing the Apollo Lunar Module on the Moon, but want I really wanted to do was a complete Apollo mission from lift off to splashdown. Hence Orbiter.

It took me 3 weeks to complete the Apollo 11 mission. If not for my real life interfering, I think it would have only taken 3 days. Had to download about a dozen tutorials in order to do this difficult mission. By then I was hopelessly hooked.

Since that time(March 2006), I have "simmed" (the following is NOT a comprehensive list, and click on any of the screen shots to enlarge):
  • A "deadstick" from Earth orbit to Kennedy.
  • Construction of my own space station in Earth orbit:
  • Missions to all the planets:
  • Orion/Constellation mission to the Moon.
The software is open source, which allows anyone with the appropriate skills to make their own "add-ons". To date, I've contributed to the Orbiter community the following add-ons:
  • A scenario pack detailing mission steps for Apollo 15.
  • A lunar surface base meant as a tribute/memorial to a recently deceased developer.
See this link to view/download my add-ons: http://www.orbithangar.com/searchauth.php?search=nukeet

No comments: