2011/10/01

The Sin of Class Warfare

I received this in an email today from my brother-in-law (who lives in the Seattle area):

[A local Pastor sent this out to his congrgation last week. Though I don't attend, I felt the message was well worth passing on.  Brent.]



Those who know me also know that I believe The Church is about proclaiming Christ, not pushing an agenda, political or otherwise.  And while I believe it is good for Christians to be involved in social and political causes, all of that will one day be moot. 

1 Cor. 2:2:   "For I resolved to know nothing while I was with you except Jesus Christ and him crucified."

When we stand before God we will give account for two things: what we did with Jesus Christ and His claim to be the ONLY way to Eternal Life (John 14:6); and what we did with our time, talents and resources. Did we spend them on ourselves or did we use them for the kingdom of God?  (1 Cor. 3:11-14)

But my spirit was truly grieved to hear the POTUS and others trying to stir up class warfare.  Let me clear on this, as far as I can tell, class warfare is a sin.  As soon as you start categorizing people as “haves” and have nots” you encourage them to covet. When you say, "Look at those people who have more than you, that's not right" you stir up greed which is idolatry (as well as making yourself God, the only Judge).

Ex. 20:17:  “You shall not covet your neighbor’s house. You shall not covet your neighbor’s wife, or his manservant or maidservant, his ox or donkey, or anything that belongs to your neighbor.”

Col. 3:5:   "Put to death, therefore, whatever belongs to your earthly nature: sexual immorality, impurity, lust, evil desires and greed, which is idolatry. "

Coveting or greed is wanting what someone else has or just wanting more of what you have.  The Bible makes it clear that we are to be content with what we have. (Phil. 4:12-13) There is nothing wrong with having more, except that we will be accountable for what we did with it (Matthew 25:14-30).

I have no problem with millionaires and billionaires, God bless ‘em.  They will stand before the same Throne as me and give account for their lives and Jesus said it is harder for a rich person to get into heaven.  I understand what Jesus means since I am a “rich” American who can easily get caught up in my possessions.

Those who would say, “Hey, look at that wealthy person, that’s not fair that he has so much!” might be better off saying, “Hey, look at those people in [Panama, Pakistan, Burundi, etc.] I am so blessed living here, what can I give/do to make their lives better?”  Don't be misled, this is a spiritual matter, not a political one.

Col. 3:15:   "Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace. And be thankful."

Blessings,
Rick

TGIF-ASC = TGIF And Sunday's Coming!  (this one's early)

No comments: